Roger Broadie and I have posted on both the http://www.schoolevolutionarystages.net and http://www.BroadieAssociates.co.uk a copy of our Taxonomy of School Evolutionary Stages and the complementary publication Evolution through the Threads.
Both publications are free.
We’d strongly suggest downloading both publications.
The Taxonomy posits, as mentioned in earlier posts that
- schools globally evolve in a remarkably similar manner, particularly when shifting to a digital operational base
- all schools currently sit at a point on six stage evolutionary continuum; a continuum that will over time continually expand
- schools will evolve through a series of key evolutionary stages, demonstrating at each stage remarkably similar attributes
- the vast majority of schools will need to evolve through each of the stages before moving on to the next
- it is finally possible with the continuum to provide schools and their communities an international indicative measure, that allows them to readily identify their school’s approximate current evolutionary stage and the likely path ahead
- it takes considerable time and effort for schools to move along the evolutionary continuum
- schools in equilibrium are prone to the same risks as other complex organisations that don’t continue to evolve.
The Evolution through the Threads explores in depth the evolution that has occurred in the pathfinder schools that have or nearly normalised the whole school use of the digital technology in some 20 plus key operational areas. Vitally the analysis of the threads underscores the reality that the evolution in a school might well occur at a different pace in different operational areas.
Both works have emerged out of the research we have undertaken with pathfinder schools in the UK, US, NZ and Australia.
While as stressed both works are human constructs and indicative in nature we have both in our school consultations found the staff and vitally the parents can swiftly position the school and soon understand the many variables needing to be addressed.